Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Toast To Writers and Readers Alike

This has nothing to do with my post.   I just love willow trees...lol.
The coolest thing in the world about my job as a writer is when a reader emails and says, "What happens next?"... This has happened to me four times in the past twenty-four hours.  Of course, I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of the four emails I have received concerning THE DEMON KING trilogy. The answer to that question, however, is something I cannot divulge at this moment in time.  I can't give out exact moments in Willow and Draken's separate quests or their quest together, either.

And here is where the dark side of a writer's life, for me, comes in.

The truth is, I really want to tell everyone the answer to that question.  I am the most terrible secret keeper on the planet!  The reality is that I want to tell everyone what happens next and I want to do it NOW because I hate to keep others in the dark.  I love that everyone wants to know and it sort of strokes my ego that I've gotten a great reaction from those who have read the book thus far, but I know that if I give out my secret, there will be no point in finishing the second book, not to mention the third.

Sigh...

I'm wondering if other writers find themselves in the same predicament and I'm thinking that they probably do.  I don't feel any weird sense of power in knowing what happens next.  Instead, I sort of feel a weakness. 

I also feel a bit overwhelmed with having THE DEMON KING finally released.  He's been mine for so long and now I have to hand him over to the readers.  He officially belongs to you guys now, so take care of him and Willow and all of the creatures of the Underworld.  They are special to me. I spent an awful long amount of time with this particular novella and it's just a novella, not a full length novel lol!!!

In a weird sense, I feel a bit of loss. I know I'm gaining, but it's like sending your kids off to college.  The writing process is like raising your children.  The submitting and publishing is the high school years where you're not sure exactly how your kid's gonna fare, but hope for the best.  The release date is when you wave goodbye from the front door, try not to sniffle, and hope like hell that you've done a good job. 

I'm thinking that since THE DEMON KING is my baby and I've done well that I have nothing to fear whatsoever at this point.  After all, he's out the door and on his own with the readers.  I look forward to finishing the sequel.  I look forward to reuniting myself with the same characters and a few new ones.  I look forward to hearing from more readers and I also look forward to handing my dad his copy of the book when he comes home again.  After all, the book is dedicated to him. 

So, here's a virtual toast to writers who have ever felt a bit uneasy on release day, to writers who feel like their books are their babies, to writers who allow themselves to feel the roller coaster of emotions that come with being a writer, and also to the wonderful readers who encourage us to continue being bat shit crazy and emotional writers. 

Writing truly is a journey.  I don't mean to go all nutty/over-emotional/nostalgic on you guys, but it's true.  It takes time to get to be the writer you want to be.  I'm nowhere near where I want to be yet.  However, when you know that you've turned a corner, it can sometimes be bittersweet for some of us.  For me, it's because I just don't like to let go.  Well, this post is my way of letting go of my "baby" and crossing my fingers, hoping that he does well.

Cheers!
~Rhiannon

1 comment:

  1. Good for you and congratulations on the release. I lived with my characters for 20 years before they got to see the light of day. I then wrote the sequel in 8 months (the first two drafts, that is). We're editing now and pushing for a May release. Although I have a third book in the series planned, I'm writing something else at the moment. I'm sick of those characters now! ;)

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete